Skip to main content Skip to left nav

Community Preparedness Outreach

After taking the poll, what form of outreach do you find more effective in promoting preparedness in your community and why? 

What outreach methods do you use to promote preparedness in your community?

• Social media (Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, Linkedin, etc.)
    61%(11)
  • Radio
    11%(2)
  • TV
    17%(3)
  • Host preparedness events
    72%(13)
  • Participate in community events
    94%(17)
  • Disaster preparedness trainings
    89%(16)
  • Word of mouth
    61%(11)
  • Other
    33%(6)

This poll closed on Dec 8th 2012

Modified by Angela Nak - FEMA Region IX (1 year ago)
Gracie Hernandez 1 year ago   Reply

Hello Angela,

We are asking for permission from our department to start a Facebook Page to get information out to the public.

Thank you,

Gracie

Heather Duschell 1 year ago   Reply

I think that hosting prepardness events within the community help outreach to individuals that may not be exposed because of distant populations, language barriers, age, and personal gaps between being prepared and not being prepared.  Populations can get other forms of info in prepardenss within the media and social media.  Social media is another form but it may be wrong infomation (depended on who the source is coming from).

Our CERT Commander, Captain Gerlich, is often seen on local TV promoting emergency preparedness. Our CERT Website http://www.cert-la.com has tons of preparedness information and can be translated into many different languages. We also have a Facebook page and Youtube video demonstrations.  We participate in many community events offering information booths and 1st aid stations.  We hold monthly community meetings to get the word out as well.

Kaye M 1 year ago   Reply

Hey guys!

Hawaii just launched their preparedness website early this month.  Check it out!

http://www.getreadyhawaii.org/index.php/

I just stumbled upon this site. I prefer doing research and getting information online through reliable sources, but also value the hands on outreach through community events like fairs and farmers markets. 

The Monterey County Citizen Corps Council uses the Ning platform to engage or stakeholders and the community.  It has been a very good tool- easy and inexpensive!  Check out our site http://citizencorpsmonterey.ning.com/

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to hear more about what kind of other preparedness activities your team has going.  Another thanks for your commitment to preparedness.

-Angela

Jim Nicol 1 year ago   Reply

Block Captain for Newhall, CA Wayman-8th St Neighborhood Emergency Response Tea, NEST.  Our team uses email and personal door to door contacts to provide information and encouragement for our neighbors to get prepared for WHEN the next big one hits. We have over 100 neighbors that have participated in block "parties" where we hand out preparedness info and have presentations by local city officials and vendors.  Block Captains meet periodically to plan and coordinate procedures for reaction to emergency situations

Hi Angela et al,

As most of the research shows, people are most likely to do things (take action) when asked to do so by their friends and family...hence the reason we focus on classes.  We do have some traditional media outreach (radio, tv, print), but we're finding that word of mouth and personal contacts are making a bigger impact in that people are actually doing preparedness actions.

Welcome Jim!

Thanks for sharing about your block parties. I am a huge fan of block parties. It brings all walks of life living all in the same neighborhood together. There's so much positive  community energy, that is a lot easier to encourage people to get prepared because of the type of setting its in.

Please post block party photos, stories, and upcoming events right here on the National Preparedness Forum . Your block parties can engage new partners, participants, and encourage other community members to host their own block parties.

Thanks,

Angela

Welcome Roy,

Thanks for sharing. I can relate to your approach to reach a particular that may otherwise not be engaged in the social media, tv, and radio.   To actually convince individuals to take steps to be prepared, thhe preparedness message needs come from someone they know. People  would  feel more comfortable and secure about the decisions they are making to invest in preparedness. By taking a personal approach to reach family members,neighbors, community, workplace, etc., we need to know to identify the key individuals who has influence in these groups to be trained as preparedness leaders.   Not until an individual can personally relate and/or have been impacted by a disaster, you will experience some  challenge to convince them to get prepared.

I look forward to more discussions, updates, photos, events, and more from you. Please continue to share.

Thanks!

Angela

Hello everyone,

On the subject of social media, smart phone apps are another resource tool  that can help people find out about how to be prepared, staying safe, being informed, and connecting with loved ones.  I came across an article in the USAA Magazine suggesting the 12 Must-HAVE Apps to survive a Storm. However, some of these apps are not just storm specific, but can actually be applied to other disaster preparation.

Another great app to have is the American Red Cross  that provides first-aid, hurricane, and earthquake information. They're currently in the process of developing apps for other disaster information. 

If you're all about apps, I encourage you to downnload these life-saving tools today. See attached article for the12 Must - Have Apps to Survive a Storm.

Thank you,

Angela