Skip to main content
The National Preparedness Community

Introducing Self

Rick Coffinbarger 1 year ago   Reply

My name is Richard L. “Rick” Coffinbarger, MS, LSW, and I have worked in the behavioral health field for nearly 20 years.  I have held positions at the local, state, and federal levels.  I have worked in both direct service and administrative positions during my career.  I have trained many people in crisis intervention and West Virginia’s mental health law.  I have a Certificate in Specialized Training in the application of Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) in disasters and mass terrorism from the Internatial Critical Incident Stress Foundation (ICISF).  My primary focus has always been helping individuals to access the proper level of care in the least intrusive manner.  Specific emergency management experience includes serving as state mental health disaster coordinator for West Virginia from 1997-2001, oversight of community mental health center emergency preparedness from 2000-2003, preparation of community hospital mental health response in disaster preparedness from 2003-2009, and currently represent the mental health service line as a group member in VA medical center emergency management procedures and preparation.

I have been married for over twenty years and have two children, ages 18 and 16.  I have a BA in Psychology and a MS in Clinical Psychology.  I currently serve as the case manager for the Suicide Prevention Program at the VAMC, Martinsburg, WV, as well serving as the Facility Research Compliance Officer (RCO).  I hope to have some experiences in both preparation and delivery of behavioral health services for disaster and emergency victims - primary, secondary, and tertiary - that might benefit this group.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for joining the community and introducing yourself. I really enjoyed reading about your experience in the behavioral field and your real life experience for disaster and emergency victims. I hope you enjoy the current discussions on this community and start a few new ones yourself.

Best,

Lauren Modeen